Chemistry is the foundational science behind aromatherapy, yet many students find it challenging and ultimately useless to their home practice. But an understanding of chemical principles can turn a rookie home-user into an informed aromatherapist—capable of making better decisions for safety and formulation, while also being able to recognize misinformation that clutters the web.
In this workshop, you will learn:
- The essential chemistry concepts for working with essential oils
- The three types of atoms that make up almost every essential oil available
- About the different chemical families that make up essential oils
- Why essential oils don’t mix with water and what this could mean for your safety
- Why some essential oils go bad over time while others get better with age
- Tips for spotting bad information
Students will leave with a short guide to essential oil chemistry and resources for furthering their education. Each student will get to experience single components (chemicals) that make up essential oils, and each student will practice identifying these components’ scents in common oils.